You can contact LEARNZ, part of CORE Education, at:
PO Box 13 678,
Each day of the field trip, the LEARNZ Team shoot, edit and upload curriculum-rich videos which help students to feel right up close to the action.
For help and more information about LEARNZ videos, go to Help with Videos in the LEARNZ Support section.
1. Meeting Auckland’s Roading Needs 47 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Drive down to the waterfront in the centre of Auckland City and meet Peter Spies from NZTA to find out more about Auckland’s road network.
Next step learning: Find out more about the State Highways in your local area and how they have changed over time.
2. The Western Ring – An Alternative Route 37 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Find out more about the Auckland Harbour Bridge and discover why Auckland needs the Western Ring Route.
Next step learning: Discuss how you think the Western Ring Route will impact on Auckland and how it might affect you.
3. Completing the Western Ring Route 48 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Come into the site office beside the southern approach trench and see how the Waterview Connection will complete the Western Ring Route.
Next step learning: What impact do you think this project will have on the environment and why?
4. More Than Just a Road Project 27 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Talk to Helen Cook from NZTA about how the Waterview Connection has been designed and how it will impact on the local area and community.
Next step learning: Imagine you live in this area. Think about what you would like to see included in the Waterview Connection Project and compete some design drawings to show your ideas.
1. Well-Connected Alliance 44Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Meet Glen Kirk at the Waterview Connection site office and discover how different companies are working together to complete the Western Ring Route.
Next step learning: What other big projects in New Zealand are being done by an Alliance?
2. Creating Lasting Legacies 36Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Wander up the partially built Hendon Footbridge to look out over the Southern Approach Trench and see how this area has been changed.
Next step learning: Imagine you are an urban designer that has been asked to design a foot bridge close to Waterview Connection, think about what would be needed and draw your own design.
3. Preparing the Southern Approach Trench 28Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Find out how the Southern Approach Trench is being built.
Next step learning: Find out more about the blasting process and how this was managed.
4. Progress on the Southern Vent Building 32Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Meet Site Engineer Ben Scott and take in the view over the tunnel portal to see how the Southern Vent Building is progressing.
Next step learning: Take a look at design drawings of the Southern Vent Building to see what it will look like and create your own design.
5. Site Safety 35Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Have a chat with Jay Lauten the Health and Safety Coordinator and find out how workers can keep safe on site.
Next step learning: Make a list of hazards on site and how these could be managed.
1. The Tunnel Boring Machine mp4 file 48Mb or watch on Vimeo.
Meet TBM Shift Engineer Rachel Kelpie to find out more about what a tunnel boring machine (TBM) is and how it operates.
Next step learning: Make a model of your own to show how a TBM works.
2. Getting to Alice mp4 file 32Mb or watch on Vimeo.
Sign in, get your re-breather unit on and travel down into the tunnel to meet Alice the TBM.
Next step learning: What do you think some of the hazards are of travelling in the tunnel during construction?
3. Meet Alice the Tunnel Boring Machine mp4 file 31Mb or watch on Vimeo.
Take a look around Alice the TBM to see how she works.
Next step learning: Find out what other methods can be used to construct a tunnel other than using a TBM.
4. Working in the Tunnel mp4 file 28Mb or watch on Vimeo.
Talk to Shivani Siva and find out about who operates Alice the TBM and what types of skills they need.
Next step learning: Find out more about the types of jobs that are available on the Waterview Connection construction site.
5. Grout For The Tunnel Lining mp4 file 37Mb or watch on Vimeo.
Come and have a look at the concrete segments used to line the tunnel and the grout used behind these
Next step learning: Find out more about how different tunnels in New Zealand have been constructed.
6. Field Trip Summary mp4 file 28Mb or watch on Vimeo.
Take time at the end of the field trip to reflect on all that you have learned this week.
Next step learning: Plan an inquiry into part of the field trip that sparked your curiosity.