Do you have a plan?
Develop an emergency plan, which includes:
- where to shelter
- who will check your emergency supplies
- how to turn off gas, water and power at the mains
- how to keep contact with each other during an emergency
- how to contact civil defence for help during an emergency.
Your emergency supplies
Your emergency supplies should contain:
- food and water – enough for three days
- canned or dried food
- a can opener
- a primus or BBQ on which to cook
- bottled water (three litres per person per day)
- first aid kit and medicines
- spare toilet paper and plastic rubbish bags for your emergency toilet
- pet food
- waterproof torches and spare batteries
- radio and spare batteries
- emergency clothing
- windproof and rainproof clothing
- blankets or sleeping bags
- strong shoes for outdoors.
NB: Check and renew the food and water every 12 months. Check the batteries every three months.