What's the Plan, Stan? field trip newsletter 3 for teachers
15 October 2018
Kia ora koutou,
It is great to have you on board for the What's the Plan, Stan? field trip. Previous newsletters from this field trip can be accessed via MyLEARNZ.
Make sure students have the field trip link http://www.learnz.org.nz/whatstheplanstan164.
1. Key dates and times
- Tuesday 16 October - check devices, field trip web site and access to Zoom.
- Tuesday 16 October - Virtual Field Trip gets under way. First web conference at 9:15am.
- Tuesday 16 October - Read Andrew's first diary and look at the images.
- Wednesday 17 October - first videos online.
- Thursday 18 October - New Zealand ShakeOut, our national earthquake drill and tsunami hīkoi, takes place at 9:30am.
- Friday 16 November at 4pm. Teachers submitting evaluations by this time and day are eligible for the prize draw.
2. Web Conferences and Zoom
Check web conferences, which feature the timetable and questions. After each web conference, a recording is also made available.
- To access the LEARNZ Zoom Room:
- Go to https://core-ed.zoom.us/j/399587551
- Wait until the Host joins.
- Enable your microphone (if you are a speaking school).
- Introduce yourself in the Chat pod.
- Watch and listen to the web conference.
- You can type extra questions at the end in the Chat pod.
- Note: Some teachers allow students direct access to the live web conference because their students know how to stay on task in the chat area. Other teachers access the web conference themselves then show it on a data projector and use a shared document to gather extra questions for the Chat pod.
- After the formal web conference session, there are opportunities for students listening to the web conference to post extra questions.
- Web conference summaries can be emailed to email@example.com.
- Find out more about LEARNZ on LEARNZ Zoom Room in LEARNZ support.
- Activities related to each background page assist with prior learning for the field trip.
- Look at the planning sequence in the Resources section - good for helping you keep your class on track during the field trip.
- With the web conference passcode shown in your MyLEARNZ, you can give students access to replay the web conferences and share their learning at home with family - more.
4. Social Media
- Follow me @andrewpenny01 #learnztrip on Twitter during the field trip for highlights as they happen.
- Follow LEARNZ on facebook and Instagram.
- During the field trip, videos with captions are uploaded to the website each morning.
- The first videos will be online Wednesday morning 17 October.
6. Earth Science Week
- The What's the Plan, Stan? field trip also coincides with Earth Sciences Week. This year's international event aims to promote understanding and stewardship of the planet, especially in terms of the ways art relates to geoscience principles and issues.
Mā te wā,