Memorial Park Newsletter 2 for Teachers
Tēnā koutou, Shelley here,
Next week (19-21 November) you will join me in Wellington for the Memorial Park field trip. This trip is supported by NZTA.
Things to do from this newsletter - (previous newsletters for this field trip can be read here)
- book your class in as a speaking school for a live audioconference now.
- prepare for your students' participation in the field trip by using the background readings and activities.
1. ENROL YOUR CLASS
- Please enrol all the classes you are taking on this field trip; this enables us to report accurately to our supporters, continue to offer LEARNZ free of charge and it helps us to support you and your students.
- Personalise the field trip for your students by taking part in a live audioconference using the MoE audio-bridge at no cost. During audioconferences students will be able to put questions to experts who are on location.
- Two 20-25 minute audioconferences will be held each day on 19-21 November.
- All you need for an audioconference is a speaker phone. Skype can also be used.
- Check the audioconference topics on the timetable and book your audioconference now by emailing email@example.com.
3. ASK AN EXPERT WEB BOARD
- Once your class has read the Memorial Park background readings, students are welcome to ask questions on the Ask-an-Expert Web Board.
- Students should read 'Guidelines for using Ask-an-Expert' before posting questions. Students don't need to register when posting questions.
4. LISTEN TO THE BACKGROUND PAGES
- Students will be able to listen to the background pages being read to them by the LEARNZ field trip teacher.
- Each background page will have a headphone icon and the word "listen" near the top of the page. Clicking on this will download the background page audio file.
- If you have questions regarding the field trip please email me firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Teacher Freephone 0800 CALL LEARNZ (0800 22 55 53).
6. FOR TEACHERS WHO ARE NEW TO LEARNZ:
- There is no prescribed way of using a LEARNZ virtual field trip.
- Curriculum links are available for you to check and see how the field trip relates to your class programme.
- Use your teacher access login (username and password) if you use the site for planning purposes.
- Give the class login (username and password you set up for them in MyLEARNZ) to your students to use.
- For help with login procedures see login explained and/or call 0800 22 55 53.
- The Prepare Students section of the Memorial Park site ensures your students are ready when the field trip gets under way.
- The background readings give an overall idea of the topic and can be used to generate further inquiry. The activities consolidate new learning and encourage deeper thinking.
- During the field trip your class can follow the action in my daily diary, watch the videos, and ask questions or listen during live audioconferences with our experts. Combined with the background readings, activities and Ask-an-Expert, these components are powerful mediums for inquiry learning.
- See also Getting started with LEARNZ.
I look forward to you joining us on the Memorial Park virtual field trip.
Nāku noa, nā
LEARNZ Field Trip Teacher